Sunday, August 5, 2012

Rock & Roll: New Classroom Theme


    The 2012-2013 school year will bring a big change to my classroom. For the past five years, I have enjoyed a surfing theme. I’ve spent a lot of time decorating and designing my classroom around this style and finally felt like I had it as close to perfected as I was going to get.

    Obviously, that means it is time for a makeover!

    This year I will be giving up the cool surfer style for a rock and roll theme, and it’s not your grandma’s 1950’s jukebox theme. This has meant a lot of money, creativity, and work on Word. I find myself wishing I were in charge of making bulletin board sets for teachers. I’m not a campy person. I don’t like everything rock and roll. I don't want to post cartoon characters all over my room. I like simple lines, bright colors (no primary colors please), and symmetry. I don’t want my boarder trim wavy. I don’t want cutesy stuff. Unfortunately, that’s not the way most teacher resources are made. So, I’ve had to pick and choose, mix and match, modify, and create from scratch. Yes, Pinterest has served as an inspiration, but I still haven’t seen exactly what I’m looking for.

    At a glace, things look a little cluttered and busy. When it’s on the walls and spread around the room, it will be more like pops of color and pattern. I will post pictures when things are finally in order. With all that said, here is a peek at some of what you’ll find in my room this year:


                             This is where I recognize AR stars once a week. The three spots at the bottom are for students with the most points earned in the week, the highest average, and the highest percent of goal reached. The students' names are on star Post It notes. If they are in good standing, their sticky goes over a circle. Right now I'm set for 16 students, though I should probably plan for 20.







New calendar 

   The day will be recognized by the odd colored zebra stripe. I had to cover the multicolored polka dots with zebra duct tape.


 New rules





   The front board. It will display the calendar, rules, schedule, discipline plan, grade scale, writing rubric, and a nonverbal communication rubric showing understanding or a need for tutoring.

   Above the bulletin board is another one displaying my AR point clubs where the students' backstage passes travel along. When they hit 100, 150, and/or 200 points they get a treat. Typically, I'll have my husband bring in pizza and a dessert and we all eat together.





I didn't like the old frame and poster.


Sign for the door/outside bulletin board.




   My husband is my hero! He put up this book display made from Ikea napkin holders. I am so happy to have this. I am always looking for a place (other than my whiteboard) to display my read alouds. Perfect!







   Classroom library label and a shot of part of the library.




                                                        I made these on wackybuttons.com. The skull is a magnet and the other is a button. The button is perfect for student recognition. I got them super cheap too!
The button is so anytime I have students who makes a 100, I can have them wear this around school so the kids will have a chance to brag on themselves.



   If you are looking for a seemingly endless supply of free fonts, check out www.dafont.com. I could spend hours searching through their collection. Two of my favorites for this theme are Feathergraphy and Tattoo Ink. After I install them, I restart Word. I typically have to go to "Format" then "Font" to find my font as it doesn't always show up on my formatting palette. I'm sure there's a way around that, but I haven't searched it out. My go to font is Century Gothic.


I have a duct tape line laid out in front of my door. This is where the kids are to line up. No excuses for a line that isn't straight, and they can't reach my whiteboard to rub their little fingers on it. Please excuse the mess on the floor. My husband had to drill in some screws for my storage area.



Letter to the students on my desk.




I am open to suggestions. My focus colors are black, pink, and Turquoise.

No comments:

Post a Comment